Message from the President
Welcome to the official website of the Sri Lanka – Maldives Business Council of the Ceylon Chamber of Commerce. Our objective is to facilitate trade, networking opportunities and business logistics for member companies in the Maldives. We have over 90 members with diverse business interests ranging from Banking to Construction.
The Council has participated in several trade exhibitions and business promotion delegations to the Maldives over the 12 years it has been in operation. This website is a useful source of information for member companies as well as others interested in developing business activities in the Maldives.
During this unprecedented time of the pandemic where businesses are facing unique challenges, the Council will provide support and guidance to member companies in continuing business activities between the two countries.
Sri Lanka – Maldives Business Council
The Sri Lanka – Maldives Bilateral Business Council, the 19th Bilateral Business Council under the aegis of the Ceylon Chamber of Commerce was launched on 25th May, 2007. The need to establish the Sri Lanka – Maldives Bilateral Business Council originated following a recommendation made at the Sri Lanka – Maldives Joint Commission held in 2006. The prime objectives of the Council are promotion of trade/ investment, services, tourism and joint ventures between Sri Lanka and the Republic of Maldives.
- To promote trade in goods, tourism and other services between Sri Lanka and The Maldives.
- To promote investment from the Maldives to Sri Lanka and encourage the establishment of joint ventures in Sri Lanka with investors from The Maldives.
- To exchange information on trade and investment with the appropriate authorities and institutions in The Maldives.
- To recommend to the Standing Committee ‘A’ (STC ‘A’) of the Ceylon Chamber of Commerce proposals to be made to the Governments of Sri Lanka and or The Maldives to promote bi-lateral trade and investment.
- To serve as a recognized representative of business sector interests in Sri Lanka in matters concerning business relationships with France
- To conduct joint meetings with the Maldivian business organisations in Sri Lanka and in the Maldives
- To attend to any matters that would be incidental or conducive to attaining the above objects.
The launch of the Council took place during the visit of Hon. Mohamed Jaleel, Minister of Economic Development and Trade of Maldives.